Sweet Potato Mash with Cinnamon
Delicious mashed potatoes… they are such a crowd-pleaser, especially when cooking for children but they aren’t too good for our waistlines!
We recently hosted a lunch for a large group of adults who were all on healthy eating and fitness programmes (including myself!) so I needed a menu that was healthy, but also great for a larger crowd. Sweet potatoes are abundant at the moment, so I knew they had to feature and set about finding the perfect mash recipe... and I couldn’t find anything.
I decided to adapt the Mashed Potato recipe in the Thermomix™ Everyday Cookbook – and here it is. Please note this is a recipe cooked in a Thermomix™, but don’t let that put you off! It could easily be adapted by cooking the potatoes in a pan and mashing with a stick blender.
I add Pure Cinnamon Essential Oil for extra flavour – it's totally optional but once you've tried it, you won't go back to the plain version!
- 1kg sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 250g almond milk (can be substituted by cow’s milk or another milk substitute, if you prefer)
- 20g butter
- Toothpick swirl pure cinnamon essential oil (if additional seasoning is preferred)
- Place the potatoes and milk into a Thermomix™ bowl, season with salt and/or cinnamon as desired.
- Cook for 18-20 minutes at 100°C degrees on Speed 1. (Ensure the potatoes are cooked prior to mashing.)
- Insert Butterfly into Thermomix™ bowl. Add the butter and cinnamon essential oil then mash for 20 seconds on Speed 3.
And that’s it – easy-peasy and much healthier and easier to digest than traditional mash!
ESSENTIAL OIL TIP: When cooking with essential oils, please ensure they are pure and suitable for use in food. Pure essential oils are potent, so you only need to add a toothpick swirl for flavour (simply dip your toothpick in the bottle, then swirl the toothpick in your dish).
OTHER BLOGS YOU MAY LIKE: